By Cacinda Maloney, DC
Effective Lifestyle Tips– These are five easy and highly doable steps to a better lifestyle (and prevent or reverse diabetes).
- Exercise. Staying fit is highly important and it is one of the fastest, most powerful ways to lower your insulin and leptin resistance. Get a head start today by reading more about Peak fitness- less workout time, more benefits. It includes working out once or twice a week when you do Peak Fitness exercises, in which you raise your heart rate up to your anaerobic threshold for 20 to 30 seconds, and then you recover for 90 seconds.You would repeat this cycle for a total of eight repetitions. These cycles are preceded by a three-minute warm up and two-minute cool down so the total time investment is about 20 minutes.
- Eliminate grains and sugars, especially fructose. Eliminate ALL sugars and grains – even “healthful” ones like whole, organic, or sprouted grains – from your diet. Avoid breads, pasta, cereals, rice, potatoes, and corn (which is, in fact, a grain). until your blood sugar gets under control, you may want to avoid fruits as well.
- Get plenty of omega-3 fats from a high-quality, animal-based source.
- Monitor your fasting insulin level. Every bit as important as your fasting blood sugar, your fasting insulin level should be between 2 and 4. The higher your level, the worse your insulin sensitivity is.
- Get probiotics. Your gut is a living ecosystem of a multitude of bacteria. The more good bacteria you have, the stronger your immunity and the better your overall function will be. Optimize your gut flora by taking a high-quality probiotic supplement.